[OT] Fractions on musical notation

Brian Victor homeusenet3 at brianhv.org
Sun Dec 16 20:04:51 EST 2007

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> On 16 dic, 06:40, Lie <Lie.1... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [btw, off topic, in music, isn't 1/4 and 2/8 different? I'm not very
>> keen of music though, so correct me if I'm wrong.]
> As a time signature 1/4 has no sense

Actually, I'm playing a show right now that has a one beat vamp.  It's a
single repeated measure in 1/4 time.

To addres the real point, though, I don't think of a time signature as a
rational number, although it correctly reflects what portion of a whole
note can be found within a measure.  I consider it to have two separate
pieces of information: the length of the beat and the number of those
beats per bar.  When I've written code to represent music I have used
rationals to represent when something occurs, but a different structure
to represent time signatures.

--
Brian