[OT] Fractions on musical notation

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Dec 16 19:21:28 EST 2007

On 16 dic, 06:40, Lie <Lie.1... at gmail.com> wrote:

> [btw, off topic, in music, isn't 1/4 and 2/8 different? I'm not very
> keen of music though, so correct me if I'm wrong.]

As a time signature 1/4 has no sense, but 3/4 and 6/8 are different
things. In the standard musical notation both numbers are written one
above the other, and no "division" line is used. Note that they just
*look* like a fraction when written in text form, like here, because
it's not easy to write one above the other.
3/4 is read as "three by four", not "three quarters" -at least in my
country- so there is even less confussion.

--
Gabriel Genellina