"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Russ P. Russ.Paielli at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:51:29 EST 2007

On Dec 3, 1:04 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 16:11:19 +0000, Neil Cerutti wrote:
> > To paraphrase Bertrand Russell, Newton was too successful.
> > Over-veneration of Newton was eventually an impediment to progress--this
> > was not, of course, his fault.
>
> Given that the veneration of Newton was very much a product of Newton's
> efforts at self-promotion, there's a good case to make that it was his
> fault. He was a man of contradictions (as we all are, but he more so than
> normal): on the one hand he was secretive and uncommunicative, on the
> other he insisted on being given priority whenever possible, even in
> doubtful cases, and absolutely refused to share the stage with anyone.

My understanding is that Newton was a quiet, reflective guy who
computed mathematical power series by hand to kill time. He was the
college guy studying by himself in the library on Saturday night while
everyone else was out partying. If he was perceived as arrogant, he
was probably just sure he was right. And more often than not, he was.

Newton may or may not be overrated, but I don't know who do you think
you're fooling by claiming that he was "not a scientist." That's just
silly.