[OT] Guide me on Apache Virtual server+mod_python

Ravi Kumar ra21vi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 04:13:44 EST 2007

thanks a lot. I am still trying to get it working. I think i will have to
register those subdomains in CISCO as the hostame of same ip somehow. For
the same configuration, I can have those subdomains.domain.ext open in my
localhost, but from other system, I can't access it.
No comments or error discriptions right now from my side. I would like to
work a little more to get to some point and then let you all know what
exactly the problem is.
Again, thanks a lot for the help.

On Dec 5, 2007 7:31 PM, Ravi Kumar <ra21vi at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
> I am sorry for OT here.  But I search google, could not quench my thrist,
> so came here, and for single question, I don't want to subscribe in Apache
> Newsgroup.
> The problem is :
> i wwant to implement a mod_python based Website + Reporting Application on
> my system.
>
> In the domain, my system is : mysys.domain.com
> Now, I want to implement two subdomains on my apache server:
> http://www.site.com
> http://report.site.com
> Means two or multiple subdomains on same Apache Server.
> Only one IP Address and NIC is allocated in System (can't go for two IPs).
> Network has CISCO Routers .
> So can you please guide me a little, on how to do it. I just need some
> pointers and I will start finding them on Google.
>

> --
> -=Ravi=-

I am definitely not an expert, but no one else answered so here is how I did
it.

Look in the apache2 directory: 'conf'. then the subdirectory: 'extra' for
the file: httpd-vhosts.conf. It contains sample code that
you can use.

This may not be exactly like your installation. I am using Apache2Triad.
What you want is something like this:

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName report.site.com
   ServerAlias report.site.com
   DocumentRoot /apache2triad/htdocs/www.domain.com
   ServerAdmin admin at site.com
   ErrorDocument 403 http://www.site.com/403.htm
   ErrorDocument 404 http://www.site.com/404.htm
</VirtualHost>

There are some other related code changes. Just search httpd.conf and the
vhosts file for virtual and hosts and you should find all
the code you need commented. Also, google has many tutorials. I did this
about 6 years ago so I don't remember where I got the
information, but there were many references.

Note that you can have as many virtual hosts as you want with one IP, but
(to my knowledge) you cannot have SSL on more than one
web site with one IP unfortunately. Some guru needs to do this.