Python import search path!

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 17:10:34 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 3:44 pm, SMALLp <po... at email.t-com.hr> wrote:
> Hy!
> I'm new in Linux, and i feel little less newer in python.
>
> I need advice and help. I'm making an application witch purpose is
> irrelevant. It has a lot of code for now and I've only made interface.
> So I've tried to split code into separate files and in windows as I
> remember worked file when i wrote  eg. import myFile but now in Ubuntu
> it says Module not found. (I'm using Ubuntu and I've installed python
> 2.5 and wxPython 2.8.4, and I'm using GedIt as my favorite text editor).
> The question is how to make this work (files are in the same folder)

Not sure what is going on here from this description. You may need to
use the sys module and add the path to your module temporarily.

import sys
sys.path.append("//path/to/myFile")

> Second question is about import wx. When i separate code into files i
> have to write import wx into every file because all of them contains
> some part of the interface. Does that make my program bigger than
> putting everything into one file and use only one import.
>
>                 Thanks in advance.

No, importing wx in multiple files does not make it bigger. In fact,
as I understand it, Python will only import a module if it's not
already in the namespace. So if you import wx in your main module and
then import it again in some sub-module of yours, Python won't
actually import wx the second time, but will just use the one that's
in the namespace already.

See this thread for a more coherent explanation:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-November/293861.html

Mike