Is a "real" C-Python possible?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Dec 10 16:48:35 EST 2007

Jack a écrit :
>>>I'm not sure
>>>how much of the C-Python is implemented in C but I think the more
>>>modules implemented in C, the better performance and lower memory
>>>footprint it will get.
>>
>>Prove it.  ;-)
>

> I guess this is subjective :)

If yes, benchmarks are not an argument. Else, you'll have hard time
making your point !-)

(hint: doing objective benchmarking is really a difficult art)

> - that's what I felt in my experience
> with web applications developed in Python and PHP. I wasn't able to
> find a direct comparison online.

Could it be the case that you are comparing Python CGI scripts with
mod_php ? Anyway, since php is also usable (hem... maybe not the
appropriate qualificative) outside Apache, it should quite easy to make
a more serious test ?

Seriously: I never saw any benchmark where php was faster than Python
for any kind of stuff - unless of course you're trying to compare Zope
running as a CGI script with an hello world PHP script runned by mod_php.