Python DLL in Windows Folder

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Dec 27 20:02:49 EST 2007

> It's one of Microsoft guidelines.  The "'Designed for Microsoft Windows
> XP' Application Specification" only allows DLLs to be installed in the
> system directory if it's required for backwards compatiblity.

I guess you are referring to 2.6 here. I think Python perfectly meets
the specification (i.e. is designed for Windows XP) in this respect (*):
- python25.dll is a shared component
- it is not private to a single software vendor
- it is not a control panel item
- it is not a service or device driver
- it does not support side-by-side installation
- hence, it can be placed in the System directory.

The backwards compatibility with "those applications" is necessary, in
particular with PythonWin (but also with any other software that embeds
Python).

Regards,
Martin

(*) Python fails to meet other requirements; in addition, it has not
formally been certified, so it is not "Designed for Microsoft Windows
XP".