Is a "real" C-Python possible?

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Wed Dec 12 06:01:41 EST 2007

sturlamolden wrote:
> On 11 Des, 20:25, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:
>
>> Shed Skin effort. Its author writes "Am I the only one seeing the potential
>> of an implicitly statically typed Python-like-language that runs at
>> practically the same speed as C++?"
>
> Don't forget about Pyrex and PyPy's RPython.
>
> By the way, we don't need a hotspot JIT compiler. Lisp has a compiler
> invoked by the programmer. We could include optional static typing in
> Python, and have an optional static optimizing native compiler for
> selected portions of code. That would be easier to implement in the
> short run, with  JIT-capabilities added later. Pyrex, ShedSkin or
> RPython are all good starting points.

I just want to stress that adding type hints _won't_ make programs
faster if you use a good specializing JIT compiler. Psyco in particular
would not benefit from type hints at all (even if you changed Psyco take
them into account) and would give you exactly the same speed as without
them.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich Bolz