Getting wxPython to work on a Mac

Timothy Smith tssmith at sonic.net
Wed Dec 5 15:34:52 EST 2007

In article <m2ir3dqudm.fsf at cochabamba.cs.uu.nl>,
 Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> >TS> I set PYTHONPATH to
> >TS> System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5
>
> Why would you do that?

Don't know, as it's not clear (to me) from the documentation whether
PYTHONPATH has to include a path to the regular Python modules, or only
to one's own modules. Just fishing here.

> >TS> The Python interpreter works OK, far as I can tell. wx sort of works,
> >TS> but all the functionality is not there. For example, working through the
> >TS> exercises in "WxPython in Action" by Noel Rappin, I find that while I
> >TS> can create and display a frame, and create an app, stuff like
> >TS> wx.MessageBox() just doesn't work.
>
> >TS> The same exercises work just fine on a Python 2.5.1 installation on my
> >TS> wife's Windows XP machine.
>
> I tried the example (python_compare.py) and it just works, including the
> MessageBox, on Tiger with python 2.5.1. I run the in Terminal (pythonw
> python_compare.py) both with and without your PYTHONPATH.
>
> How did you run the examples?

I tried them using just python and also pythonw. Same (lack of) results.

I will try going back to the OS X 10.5 distribution of Python. Will have
to do a reinstall, I suppose.