Getting wxPython to work on a Mac

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:27:18 EST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 8:35 PM, Timothy Smith <tssmith at sonic.net> wrote:
> Not sure exactly what I need to do to get wxPython to work on either of
> my Macs. (One's a notebook running Tiger (OS X 10.4.11), the other a Mac
> Pro running Leopard (10.5.1.))
>
> I downloaded what should be the latest binary, and it installed without
> error. So Python comes up as
>
> $ python -V
> Python 2.5.1
> $ ls -l /usr/bin/python
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  72 Oct 26 17:59 /usr/bin/python@ ->
> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/python
> $
>
> I set PYTHONPATH to
> System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5
>
> The Python interpreter works OK, far as I can tell. wx sort of works,
> but all the functionality is not there. For example, working through the
> exercises in "WxPython in Action" by Noel Rappin, I find that while I
> can create and display a frame, and create an app, stuff like
> wx.MessageBox() just doesn't work.
>
> The same exercises work just fine on a Python 2.5.1 installation on my
> wife's Windows XP machine.

There's a note at the top of the downloads page - the current wx
binary is built against MacPython, not the python that ships with 10.5

That said, 10.5 ships with wx 2.8.4, which is reasonably recent and
actually more recent than the book, so you should be pretty much okay
without any downloads.

I'm not sure if 10.5 ships with the scripts and applications for
wxPython - if not, you should download the "docs and demos" package
for 2.8.4 and test with those, especially PyShell and friends.

Specific details about what doesn't work (including the script you're
running and how you're running it) are welcomed if this doesn't help.