2D Game Development in Python

PatrickMinnesota PatrickMinnesota at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 20:16:38 EST 2007

I like to do fun stuff when learning a new language.  I've been
working with Python for a little while on real world problems mostly
fixing bugs and writing a simulator for work.

I was thinking as a hobby project developing a simple 2d game (think
Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, LoadRunner) and mentioned this to my 14
year old nephew.  About a week later I got a full write up for a game
that he wrote and would like to play.  So I figure why not take his
write up and turn it into a game as an exercise in fun and learning
more about Python?

I think I need at least this:  2D graphics, sound, input (kbd, mouse,
joystick maybe), some IPC might be nice (Stuff like: Sockets, TCP,
UDP, pipes, msg queues, shared memory).  The IPC stuff would only be
used if I decide to allow some multi-player over a network.

I've been playing with Pygame some in my late night hobby time.  I'm
wondering what else I should be looking at since I'm not all that
impressed with Pygame so far.  Maybe it is the right library, but
maybe it's not.  Please don't point me to a list of choices.  I've
seen all the lists.  I've done my reading.  What I don't have is
actual testimonials by people who have used a chunk of code to program
an animated 2D game and had a great experience.

I am mainly developing on Windows XP using Python 2.5.1.  I also have
multiple Linux boxes that I am migrating my life to and so any game
needs to be platform independent because I'll be on Linux full time
soon.  If it's going to run on Windows and Linux, I think it should
run on Mac too.

I've been developing systems and programs for over 20 years.
Languages I'm an expert in include C, C++, Java.  I have a strong
working knowledge and have developed non-trivial software in Smalltalk
and Lisp.

Thanks if you can help.  And no, writing some graphics library myself
is not an option, I need the leverage, this is a hobby.