Best way to protect my new commercial software.

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Dec 14 06:53:19 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 9:08 am, farsheed <rodmena.... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me be clear for you: there are someone in my company who love to
> use my software in other companies that she works there also. and
> because it is an inhouse tool, my CEO wanted me to protect it from
> stealing. and really we havn't time to copyright it.

I don't think it's particularly productive to continue this
discussion, given that you're obviously in a situation where you don't
have a great deal of flexibility, but I think you and/or your CEO
might benefit from listening to the PyCon 2007 talk "The Absolute
Minimum an Open Source Developer Must Know About Intellectual
Property" [1]. The speaker misrepresents the FSF somewhat in stating
that they don't believe in property (or some similar phrasing - I
don't recall the exact choice of words), but aside from this the talk
is rather well delivered, with the basic definitions of the different
legal instruments described in an approachable fashion.

> so I want to secure my software from some people who love to steal and use it.

It sounds like your CEO has issues with the people he/she employs,
first and foremost.

Paul

[1] Slides available here:
http://us.pycon.org/zope/talks/2007/sat/track4/053/talkDetails2