os.system question

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 14:14:24 EST 2007

On Dec 28, 12:57 pm, stanleyxu <no_re... at microsoft.com> wrote:
> To note this problem occurs when debugging script in IDLE editor.
> When I double click on my_script.py, all outputs will be printed in one
> console.
>
> --
>         ___
>    oo  // \\
>   (_,\/ \_/ \     Xu, Qian
>     \ \_/_\_/>      stanleyxu2005
>     /_/   \_\

Why are you using os.system for these commands in the first place? You
should be using the os and shutil modules instead as they would be
more cross-platform friendly.

Something like this:

# untested
for new_folder, old_folder in folder_array:
       os.mkdir(new_folder)
       shutil.copytree(old_folder, new_folder)

Adjust the path as needed in the mkdir call.

See shutil's docs for more info:
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-shutil.html

And here's some folder manipulation docs:
http://effbot.org/librarybook/os.htm

By the by, the subprocess module is supposed to be used in place of
the os.system and os.popen* calls: http://docs.python.org/lib/module-subprocess.html

Mike