"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Dec 3 16:47:21 EST 2007

Russ P. a écrit :
>>I'm amazed that anyone here answered this obvious troll...
>

> I doubt the original post was a troll, but the statement above clearly
> is.

Then your trollometer is broken. Got and get yourself a working one.

> You are entitled to your opinion about the idea of changing the name
> of the language, but calling it a troll is just arrogance on display.

Yes, I'm pretty arrogant. Now what to say about people wanting to trash
more than 10 years of Python advocacy when there starting to pay off
just because they think that Python is not a "serious" name ?

> Python3000 is expected to break compatibility with the current Python
> anyway,  and starting with a new name is not a radical idea. Yes, it
> would cause some minor problems, but it is not without merit.

It would cause major problems and is totally devoid of any merit. For
the record, C, C++, and C# are all *jokes* - geek jokes FWIW.

> People who are familiar with Python are smart enough to remember a new
> name (I hope), and people who are not will take it more seriously when
> they hear its name for the first time.

Yadda yadda.

> Computer geeks often fail to appreciate how they are viewed by the
> outside world. They come up with a great language and give it a joke
> for a name, not realizing that the joke is ultimately on them.

Bullshit. Nowadays, anyone serious (since you seem to worry quite a lot
about "being serious") about IT knows what Python is and who uses it.
Heck, even MSVS now has support for Python and there's an official CLR
port of it. Can't get much more "serious" (lol), isn't it ?

Now me stop feeding the troll --->[]