Getting subprocesses to be hidden on Windows

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:20:05 EDT 2007

On Aug 28, 8:59 am, geoffbache <geoff.ba... at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Which GUI toolkit are you using? Tkinter, wxPython, pyQt?
>
> Primarily PyGTK, but I was hoping it wouldn't matter. I hope to be
> able
> to start the process as indicated in the original post from within my
> test
> tool and instruct the subprocess to be hidden (or minimized? would
> that be easier?),
> irrespective of what it was (it might be a Java GUI or anything for
> all I care...)
>
> > As for
> > losing the command window on Windows, the best way that I know of is
> > to just change the extension of the python file itself from *.py to
> > *.pyw . I'm pretty sure you can suppress command windows if you're
> > calling them from the command line using a flag, but I can't recall
> > the flag off the top of my head.
>
> Thanks, that seemed to work.
>
> > One way to test while still being able to use your computer is to
> > install a virtual machine with VMWare or some similar product. I use
> > VMWare's free software for testing some of my scripts, but I've heard
> > that Microsoft's got a free virtual product that isn't half bad.
>
> OK. If all else fails I might try that. But if there is a solution to
> the original
> problem it would be nice not to have to install VMWare everywhere for
> convenient testing...
>
> Geoff

I did a quick google and found the following, which probably only
applies to Windows:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips512.html

I know that with wxPython, you can tell it to whether or not to show
the frame. Maybe pyGTK has the same functionality? This link seems to
suggest that that maybe a valid option, but it doesn't detail how to
accomplish it:

http://www.daa.com.au/pipermail/pygtk/2000-August/000300.html

This might be better: http://linuxgazette.net/issue78/krishnakumar.html

Looks to me like you could just omit the "show" method. However, I
have never used that particular toolkit. When you run stuff hidden
like that, it can be difficult to kill them.

Mike