Getting subprocesses to be hidden on Windows

geoffbache geoff.bache at pobox.com
Tue Aug 28 09:59:50 EDT 2007

> Which GUI toolkit are you using? Tkinter, wxPython, pyQt?

Primarily PyGTK, but I was hoping it wouldn't matter. I hope to be
able
to start the process as indicated in the original post from within my
test
tool and instruct the subprocess to be hidden (or minimized? would
that be easier?),
irrespective of what it was (it might be a Java GUI or anything for
all I care...)

> As for
> losing the command window on Windows, the best way that I know of is
> to just change the extension of the python file itself from *.py to
> *.pyw . I'm pretty sure you can suppress command windows if you're
> calling them from the command line using a flag, but I can't recall
> the flag off the top of my head.

Thanks, that seemed to work.

> One way to test while still being able to use your computer is to
> install a virtual machine with VMWare or some similar product. I use
> VMWare's free software for testing some of my scripts, but I've heard
> that Microsoft's got a free virtual product that isn't half bad.

OK. If all else fails I might try that. But if there is a solution to
the original
problem it would be nice not to have to install VMWare everywhere for
convenient testing...

Geoff