Opinions about this new Python book?

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 11:32:30 EDT 2007

On Aug 14, 1:43 pm, kyoso... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 14, 12:46 pm, "Shawn Milochik" <Sh... at Milochik.com> wrote:
>

> > Yes, please post back to the list. I saw this book on Amazon, but
> > there's no table of contents listed, nor is there one on the
> > publisher's site.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Shawn
>
> > On 8/14/07, James Matthews <nytrok... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > i got to say that the best python book i bought was Core Python Programming
> > > (2nd)  by Wesly Chun! Aside for all the spelling mistakes and syntax errors
> > > that there are i feel that the book really explained the language well for
> > > someone coming from another programming language!

> > --
> > Please read:http://milocast.com/2007/07/31/this-i-believe/
>
> Here's an abbreviated Table of Contents...just chapter titles. The
> book's table of contents also lists section headers.
>
> Chapter 1: About Python
> Chapter 2: Python Language Overview
> Chapter 3: Tools
> Chapter 4: Data Types
> Chapter 5: Control Flow
> Chapter 6: Input & Output
> Chapter 7: Functions & Modules
> Chapter 8: Exception Handling
> Chapter 9: Object-Oriented Programming
> Chapter 10: Classes and Objects in Python
> Chapter 11: The Python Library
> Chapter 12: The GUI - Tkinter
> Chapter 13: The Web Server - Apache
> Chapter 14: Working with Databases
> Chapter 15: Putting It All Together
> Chapter 16: Python and Graphics
>
> Mike

More on the subject...the writer is very conversational in tone and it
makes for a light read in the first 1 1/2 chapters that I've
completed. I've noticed a couple of sentence errors, but nothing in
the code.

He disses lambdas, which I haven't used for anything either. But I
have seen good uses for them (particularly in Tkinter callbacks),
although they don't seem to be as readable or usable as the rest of
Python. For some reason, the author makes the claim that the term
"Predicate" is "bandied about quite a bit in the literature" of
Python. I have 17 or so Python books and I don't think I've ever seen
this used in conjunction with Python...or in any of the docs I've
skimmed. What the!?

I'll keep you'all posted.

Mike