Opinions about this new Python book?

Neil Cerutti horpner at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 11:47:55 EDT 2007

On 2007-08-15, kyosohma at gmail.com <kyosohma at gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason, the author makes the claim that the term
> "Predicate" is "bandied about quite a bit in the literature" of
> Python. I have 17 or so Python books and I don't think I've
> ever seen this used in conjunction with Python...or in any of
> the docs I've skimmed. What the!?

The document searching facility reveals that the term is bandied
about in five places in the standard documentation. These uses
seem approriate and uncontroversial to me.

These document functions accepting predicates as aruments:

6.5.1 Itertools functions
6.5.3 Recipes
11.47 Creating a new Distutils command
26.10.1 Types and members

The following provides a few predicate functions (weird! I'd have
never thought to look there for, e.g., ismodule):

6.7 operator -- Standard operators as functions

--
Neil Cerutti