desperately in need of a tool

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Aug 20 15:53:54 EDT 2007

yagyala <mbrown at phys.ksu.edu> writes:

> I recently started working for a company that has just implemented its
> first set of software standards. So far, so good. Here's the problem:
> one of those standards is that the comments for each routine must
> indicate every other routine that it calls. As I try to keep my
> routines small, and factor out methods alot, this can lead to an
> enormous ammount of extra typing. I really, really, really don't want
> to do this by hand. Does anyone know of a tool that could do this for
> me, or at least a tool that can tell what other routines a given
> routine calls that I could program against? (Preferably something that
> works under pydev, but I'm not going to be choosy.)

import tokenize

for token in tokenize.generate_tokens(open("foo.py")):
    print token

Note module token, also.  Module inspect may also be of use:

http://docs.python.org/lib/inspect-source.html

Also, Python 2.5 introduced a new AST, which I haven't had occasion to
use yet (not even certain whether it ended up getting exposed it to
Python, or just staying on the C level...)

Possibly you could even persuade some existing source code analysis
tool to do exactly the job you want for you -- but it's probably much
easier just to write what you need yourself.

John