'REPL' style IDE

beginner zyzhu2000 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:22:15 EDT 2007

On Aug 20, 2:51 pm, JoeSox <joe... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/20/07, beginner <zyzhu2... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
>
> > I am using the Wing IDE. It works great when developing applications,
> > but the workflow is like Visual Studio -- after you execute it or
> > debug it, the python script ends.
>
> > What I want is an interactive interpreting environment. I want the IDE
> > to execute a boot script to initialize my environment and create some
> > basic data objects. And then I want to be able to type in command on
> > the command line using these objects. The IDLE that comes with Python
> > does this, but compared with Wing, it does not have a lot of the
> > convenient features.
>
> > I am wondering if there is anything more powerful than IDLE that can
> > do this.
>
> I use Wing IDE.
> Place something like this on the bottom of your module you are debuging.
> Place a stop point on the line you want then start your debug! Hope that helps.
>
> def test():
>     c=MyClass
>     c.do_foobar()
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
>   test()
> --
> Later, Joe

Thanks for your help.

Yes, this is what I always do. However, I want more than debugging
interactively. I am trying to use the python interperter as a
programmable application. Once I run my boot script, the python
interpreter should have all the right objects and libraries, and the
end user (who obviously knows python) can simply type in a few
commands, calling my functions, to achieve his purposes
interactively.

What I am doing right now is almost exactly what you prescribed. I put
a 'pass' statement at the end of my boot script and set a breakpoint
on it, so that once the debugger stops on the breakpoint, the user can
start typing in commands in the Debug Probe window. But this is by no
means a nice set up.

Thanks,
Geoffrey