beginner, idomatic python 2

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com
Fri Aug 31 04:49:56 EDT 2007

bambam a écrit :
> "Bruno Desthuilliers" <bruno.42.desthuilliers at wtf.websiteburo.oops.com>
> wrote in message news:46d2ba7a$0$430$426a74cc at news.free.fr...
>> As a side note, in Python, inheritance ...
>> ... should usually not be used for typing.
>
> :~(
> I'm sorry, I don't even know what that means... The code I
> have inherited from someone only a little more knowledgeable
> than me, and is still full of development artifacts anyway.
>
> The Pwr and Psp classes inherit from the Device class not
> neccessarily because that is a Good Thing, more because
> the development process led to them being thought of that
> way. All devices have a mixture of common and differing
> attributes.
 >
> What is 'typing'?

Mmm... Most CS experts don't really agree on this, and I'm certainly not
one (expert). So I won't even try to explain it by myself, and let you
google for "type system", "static typing", "dynamic typing", "duck
typing" etc...

Now what I meant here is that in Python, you don't have to make class B
inherit from class A to let you use an instance of B where an instance
of A was expected - all you need is that both objects share the set of
attributes and methods you're going to use. Inheritence is only useful
for sharing common code.

HTH