imaplib & Received: header(s)???

Petri Savolainen petri.savolainen at iki.fi
Mon Aug 20 04:46:04 EDT 2007

Donn Cave wrote:

> | I need to get at the Received-for header to figure out at which address
> | we received an email. We subscribe to a number of mailing lists using
> | per-mailing-list addresses, and often, To: field contains something else
> | than our address, thus the need for Received-for.
> |

> "Anything recent"?  If you're getting IMAP advice from comp.lang.python,
> I think it's fair to say you will need to be more resourceful.  The
> RFC for IMAP4rev1 should be helpful.  I don't know the IMAP to get a
> single header field, but my guess is that your error is there.  Can you
> retrieve other fields that way?  Does the one you're looking for appear
> in the data if you get the whole header, for example with 'RFC822.HEADER'?
> It certainly does in my Python IMAP client, and this would have at least
> helped you refine your question.

Thanks Donn,

I had already checked everything relevant, including what you suggested.
The only examples that I found including the Received header utilized
the now-obsoleted rfc822 library in python from many years and versions
back. Thus nothing recent.

However, you mentioning "RFC822.HEADER" working for you prompted me to
try another mail server... to my surprise, everything worked. It appears
some imap servers do not allow programmatic fetching of Received:
information. Should've done this check sooner :-(

Thanks,

  Petri