Python doesn't see the directories I create

Neil Cerutti horpner at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 08:57:15 EDT 2007

On 2007-08-31, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <slrnfddha0.1o4.horpner at FIAD06.norwich.edu>, Neil
> Cerutti wrote:
>> Keeping in mind which came first, isn't it at least as
>> accurate to attribute this problem to Python's choice of
>> escape character?
>
> No, it's Microsoft's fault. The use of backslash as an escape
> character goes back to Unix systems in the early 1970s--long
> before Microsoft came on the scene.
>
> When Microsoft introduced MS-DOS 1.0 in 1981, it didn't have
> directory hierarchies. Commands used the slash character to
> delimit options. Then when MS-DOS 2.0 introduced subdirectories
> in 1983, they decided they couldn't use the slash as the path
> separator, so they used the backslash instead. That has been a
> source of confusion ever since then.

Going back and checking the Python History page, it seems I was
off by four years with when I thought Python was first released
(I was thinking 1995, when the first release was actually 1991).
That makes Python's choice of escape character way more practical
than I thought, since Microsoft hadn't yet conquered the desktop
computing world when Python was in it's infancy.

That strange whirring sound is me backpedaling furiously. Thanks
very much for all your patiences.

--
Neil Cerutti
If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is