Python doesn't see the directories I create

Thu Aug 30 20:52:57 EDT 2007

In message <slrnfddha0.1o4.horpner at FIAD06.norwich.edu>, Neil Cerutti wrote:

> Keeping in mind which came first, isn't it at least as accurate
> to attribute this problem to Python's choice of escape character?

No, it's Microsoft's fault. The use of backslash as an escape character goes
back to Unix systems in the early 1970s--long before Microsoft came on the
scene.

When Microsoft introduced MS-DOS 1.0 in 1981, it didn't have directory
hierarchies. Commands used the slash character to delimit options. Then
when MS-DOS 2.0 introduced subdirectories in 1983, they decided they
couldn't use the slash as the path separator, so they used the backslash
instead. That has been a source of confusion ever since then.