Tkinter or wxpython?

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 11:16:09 EDT 2007

On Aug 7, 9:00 am, cla... at lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:
> In article <7x7io8r6na.... at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
> Paul Rubin  <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
>                         .
>

> >I should also add: there is also the possibility of running a Python
> >program with an embedded http server on the same desktop as the
> >browser, using the browser purely as a gui, but with the Python
> >program having complete access to the file system and so forth.  This
> >could be seen as combining the disadvantages of both the remote web
> >server approach (i.e. gui elements constrained by the browser) and the
> >all-desktop approach (deployment issues).  However, a lot of the time
> >it's still just plain easier to do.  Whenever I've written a desktop
> >gui app I've always just been shocked at how much time goes into
> >making the gui look decent and do the right stuff, even though none of
> >mine have been even slightly slick (they've all been for industrial
> >applications).  When I do a web gui, it's been just a matter of
> >tossing some html into a file or into some print statements, viewing
> >it in a browser, and tweaking it a little as needed.  Maybe that's
> >mostly a matter of the lousy state of gui toolkits, and we actually
> >need a toolkit that's more like an embedded browser.  But we don't
> >have that at the moment.
>
> One key to Tkinter's longevity lurks there.  While
> many whine about the antiquity of the appearance of
> Tkinter's widgets, they have the virtue of sensible
> defaults; more than any other toolkit, Tkinter comes
> up with minimal refinements in a sensible and
> consistent state.  While those with an artistic eye
> assure me the simplest Tkinter programs look worse
> that corresponding ones built with any other toolkit,
> they behave the most coherently in regards to resizing
> and so on.

I am curious. What are these "sensible defaults" that you mention?

If you set up a wxPython program's sizers appropriately, the program
should resize logically. But I think Tkinter is a little bit easier in
that respect. However, you can get pretty granular in how you want
items to behave in wxPython that you may not be able to do in Tkinter.
I just don't know.

I've used both, so I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

Mike