Best programs written completly in Python

Franz Steinhäusler franz.steinhaeusler at gmx.at
Sun Aug 5 11:14:13 EDT 2007

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 21:31:23 +1000, Campbell Barton
<cbarton at metavr.com> wrote:

>O.R.Senthil Kumaran wrote:
>> * Franz Steinh?usler <franz.steinhaeusler at gmx.at> [2007-08-05 12:14:38]:
>>
>>> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
>>> in pyhton, divided into categories like:
>>> a) Games
>>> b) Utilities/System
>>> c) Office
>>> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser
>>
>> Its a difficult question to answer as the software are aplenty and there is no
>> judgement basis as this one is the best.
>>
>> Head on to www.python.org and see for yourself for programs under each
>> category.
>>
>> And moreover, "written entirely in python" is a constrain to find the
>> programs. Why do you need such a list for?
>
>Of course this is totally objective, but that dosnt mean its not a valid
>question.
>
>If you were starting out a project were thinking of writing it in
>python, you might want to look at whats out there - maybe python has
>limitations which stops it being a good choice in some situations (for
>instance?)- on the other hand you might want to see some shining
>examples that prove the capabilities of python ;)
>
>'Being written entirely in python' - is a bit tricky, often these
>applications rely on some specific extension or make heavy use of a
>backend that dosnt come with python (like pygame, pygtk, or py-gstreamer).
>
>Games - See Pygame http://www.pygame.org/projects/6
>

>Utilities/System
>
>* meld is a really nice diffing tool for linux - http://meld.sourceforge.net
>* ubuntu have some of their install tools in python.
>* txt2tags - a great markup language for doc writing. -
>http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/
>* sound recording/editing - http://www.jokosher.org

Thank you for that interesting applications.
They are surely interesting as example of learning pyhton
and convince some people to choose/switch to pyhton.

>Office?? - no idea, openoffice can be scripted in python.
>
>Web - * isnt bit torrent python?, probably lots of stuff but I dont know
>of them ;)

That purpose also a good list could fulfill, to show the capabilities
of pyhton not only on a theoretical way of showing sample code.

--
Franz Steinhaeusler