Best programs written completly in Python

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sun Aug 5 07:31:23 EDT 2007

O.R.Senthil Kumaran wrote:
> * Franz Steinh?usler <franz.steinhaeusler at gmx.at> [2007-08-05 12:14:38]:
>
>> wWhat are the best programs in your opinion, written entirly
>> in pyhton, divided into categories like:
>> a) Games
>> b) Utilities/System
>> c) Office
>> d) Web/Newsreader/Mail/Browser
>
> Its a difficult question to answer as the software are aplenty and there is no
> judgement basis as this one is the best.
>
> Head on to www.python.org and see for yourself for programs under each
> category.
>
> And moreover, "written entirely in python" is a constrain to find the
> programs. Why do you need such a list for?

Of course this is totally objective, but that dosnt mean its not a valid
question.

If you were starting out a project were thinking of writing it in
python, you might want to look at whats out there - maybe python has
limitations which stops it being a good choice in some situations (for
instance?)- on the other hand you might want to see some shining
examples that prove the capabilities of python ;)

'Being written entirely in python' - is a bit tricky, often these
applications rely on some specific extension or make heavy use of a
backend that dosnt come with python (like pygame, pygtk, or py-gstreamer).

Games - See Pygame http://www.pygame.org/projects/6

Utilities/System

* meld is a really nice diffing tool for linux - http://meld.sourceforge.net
* ubuntu have some of their install tools in python.
* txt2tags - a great markup language for doc writing. -
http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/
* sound recording/editing - http://www.jokosher.org

Office?? - no idea, openoffice can be scripted in python.

Web - * isnt bit torrent python?, probably lots of stuff but I dont know
of them ;)