the one python book

Neil Cerutti horpner at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 11:46:26 EDT 2007

On 2007-08-04, Michael Tobis <mtobis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 9:32 am, Neil Cerutti <horp... at yahoo.com> wrot
>> With Python, you won't find anything like that. Python is too
>> huge.
>
> That's silly. Python is small in the sense that C is small.

What way of measuring makes that true?

> The Python standard library is probably much bigger than the C
> standard library, but Kernghan and Richie don't cover it.

The complete standard library, plus some Unix-centered stuff is
covered in K&R. Python compares closely to C++ in the scope of
its built-in features.

> K&R is a unique book. I have never seen anything comparable for
> any language.

That's partly because C is so small, though. Also Kernighan is a
good technical writer. I'm not sure of Ritchie's contribution, as
I haven't read any other books he wrote.

> The closest Python equivalent is the official docs:
>
> http://docs.python.org/
>
> I think the core Python bookshelf is:
>
> Learning Python (Lutxz & Ascher) and/or
> Dive Into Python (Pilgrim) for tutorial
>
> Python in a Nutshell (Martelli) AND
> Python Essential Reference (Beazley) for reference
>
> The latter two books are not perfect (both indexes are
> infuriating) but I usually find that I can find what I am
> looking for in one or the other.

That's an excellent list.

> Like most people I eventually plan to read Moby Dick, War and
> Peace, and Lutz's Programming Python. Maybe when I retire.

Don't forget Rarnaby Budge, by Charles Dikkens, the well known
Dutch author.

--
Neil Cerutti