XML File -- dictionary edit/search

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Tue Aug 28 01:00:05 EDT 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:15:24 -0700, -b wrote:

> I am trying to put together a python program that will be able to ask
> for a word and its definition, then save that information into an xml
> file for reference. I am not down right set on the file being in xml
> format, but xml is the first thing that comes to mind, since I do not
> want to use a MySQL database. I think xml will be easy to search and
> return a word's definition--another reason why xml comes to mind first
> after MySQL databases. Please, if you have any suggestions to what
> python-xml libraries I might use to program this small app with, then
> by all means voice your thoughts. Thank you very much for your time.

`ElementTree` is a good XML library and from Python 2.5 on it is in the
standard library.  There are others, even in the standard library.  Have
you looked in the documentation?

I don't think XML is a good storage format here.  Looks to complicated to
use a format suited for deeply nested structures for a simple flat
database.  Maybe CSV is enough here.  Take a look at the `csv` module in
the standard library.  Or use SQLite.  From Python 2.5 on there's even
support for SQLite in the standard library.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch