Where do they tech Python officialy ?

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Wed Aug 1 05:26:19 EDT 2007

On July 24, NicolasG wrote:
> Python is what I like, I would love to be more creative with this
> language and be able to produce things that I can't right now..
> Why not try to find a work that you would like ? I don't want to work
> as a programmer to became one because I'm already a programmer, I just
> want to work as a programmer ..

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "I'm already a programmer"
if you can't get jobs because you're a beginner. That sounds a bit
like "I'm a surgeon, except that I haven't done any surgery just yet."

I also don't understand the concept on choosing a university depending
on whether they use a particular language in their courses. I think it's
a good idea with a good academic education, but whether Python is part
of that is really a minor issue. The most important part of education
for people who are going to work as programmers is advanced mathematics!
That's what will teach you logic and systematic problem solving.

Learning Python is a very small and easy part in learning to develop
software in a professional way. There are no silver bullets. You won't
find a language or a university course that will "fix" things for you.

The world (and your job) is full of problems waiting to be solved.
Solve them with Python, use your spare time if you're ambitious and
don't get the opportunity to use working hours. Use the internet to
find ideas and libraries etc. Doing this will make work more fun, if
you are talented enough it will make you much more productive, you
should be appreciated for the improvements you achieve, and you will
build up a portfolio of software and solutions that you can show a
prospective employer.

If I'm hiring a consultant for a few weeks, prior Python experience
might be an issue, but if I employ someone, I don't care whether they
already know Python. I expect them to know a few languages well.
I assert that they are capable of applying a programming language to
solve problems swiftly and intelligently, and I'm pretty sure they
pick up Python quickly.