Where do they tech Python officialy ?

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Wed Aug 1 11:04:56 EDT 2007

NicolasG <nicolasg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Open source projects do not require previous professional experience to
> > accept volunteers.  So, one way out of your dilemma is to make a name
> > for yourself as an open source contributor -- help out with Python
> > itself and/or with any of the many open source projects that use Python,
> > and you will both learn a lot _and_ acquire "professional experience"
> > that any enlightened employer will recognize as such.  That will take a
> > while, but not as long as getting a college degree (and it will be far
> > cheaper than the degree).
> >
> > Alex
>
> I think this is the best idea to escape the python amateur circle and
> go in to open source project that are considered to be professional
> projects. I don't know if it will be better to find a project to
> contribute or to start a new one .. Will have a look around and think
> about.

Unless you have some specific new idea that you're keen to address and
can't be met by existing projects, joining an existing project would
normally be a better bet.  One-person projects are rarely as important
as larger ones, and it's quite hard to get other collaborators to a new
project; working in a project with existing code and contributors will
also be more instructive.  As for which OS projects are "considered to
be professional", just about all large successful ones are so
considered: after all, even games, say, are "professional projects" from
the POV of firms that develop and sell them, such as EA!-)

Alex