Adventure-Engines in Python

Neil Cerutti horpner at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 09:37:26 EDT 2007

On 2007-08-13, Richard Jones <richardjones at optushome.com.au> wrote:
> Wildemar Wildenburger wrote:
>> Are there any?
>
> An adventure game was written for one of the PyWeek challenges:
>
> http://www.pyweek.org/e/aerunthar/
>
> You might be able to use that as a starting point.

Here's an abondoned (since Python 2.2), but basically complete
system:

  http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.wolf/PAWS.htm

For a taste of what it looked like, see the PAWS section of Roger
Firth's IF system comparison page, _Cloak of Darkness_.

http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/
http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/paws/index.html

This contains a P.A.W.S version of the very simple example game.
The author of the example is somewhat suspect, however.

As far as I know, no full game was ever written in PAWS. Once you
try it, you'll possibly see why no interactive fiction system
distributed as a library for a general-purpose language has ever
caught on. Every system that's enjoyed even moderate success has
been a language+library implementation.

--
Neil Cerutti