python 3.0, pywin32 and scipy

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Aug 2 12:22:39 EDT 2007

vml wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am trying to promote python in my job, my collegue only see matlab
> and microsoft scripting language.
> I understood that there willl be no backward compatibility between
> python 2.x and 3.0, does it means that:
>
> - my script using pywin32 for the COM layer and scipy for the maths
> won't work under 3.0
> - will we have the equivalent of pywin32 and scipy in python ?
>
> I will be incharge of designing a python module which will be a
> 'matrix calculator' in our current software. Will it be compatible
> with python 3.0 ? I guess no.
>
> What can I answer to my collegue who will say 'Python is changing and
> the stuff you are doing now is useless'?
>
> how can I argue against matlab and c# ?
>
> thanks very much

Tell them that the majority of incompatibilities will be taken care of
by an automated translation mechanism, and that the 2.X range will be
maintained in parallel with the 3.X range, with features backported when
it is feasible to do so, so there will be no *need* to migrate to 3.X
until *at least* 3.1 (which will likely take us two years into the future).

You might also remind them that Microsoft have continually broken
backwards compatibility, and that this is a one-off deal that will make
Python better and more consistent (not that they'll be interested in
that, since they seem to have closed minds).

Finally, look for Python users who have migrated from Matlab (of which
there are many) and get their opinions on why. I have used C# on a
couple of projects now and it's an OK language, but it can't hold a
candle to Python, which is now firmly in the .NET environment with
Microsoft's IronPython open source implementation.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119