status of Programming by Contract (PEP 316)?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Thu Aug 30 09:35:06 EDT 2007

Russ a écrit :
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>
>>Russ a écrit :

>>>I get the strong impression you don't really understand what
>>>programming by contract is.
>>
>>I get the strong impression you don't really understand how
>>condescending you are.
>

> When someone writes something as ignorant as that, they need to be
> called on it.

When someone writes something as arrogant as that, they need to be
called on it.

Michele obviously knows what DbC is (probably better than you do), and
he also knows Python enough to know why you don't need to add anything
to Python to have it.

> So you can implement everything you need already in Python?

Talking about DbC ?

> Yes, of
> course,

"Yes, of course". A couple of decorator functions and you're done. It's
pretty trivial, and that's why Michele told you could implement it by
yourself.

(snip)

>>>I have not yet personally used it,
>>
>>You have no working experience with the concept, but you think it should
>>make it into Python's core ???
>
> I don't need to use it to understand the concept. That has been
> explained
> brilliantly by the Eiffel and SPARK Ada folks.

FWIW, the "Eiffel and SPARK Ada folks" also "brilliantly explained" why
one can not hope to "write reliable programs" without strict static
declarative type-checking.

One needs to have working experience with a concept to know what it's
really worth. Too bad for you, you're too "smart" to understand this.

> I am also smart enough

Yes, obviously really smart.