ensuring GNU readline isn't used

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Aug 7 20:13:42 EDT 2007

Josh Paetzel <josh at tcbug.org> writes:

> Is there a way to ensure that GNU readline isn't used (even though
> support may have been compiled in?).  I'm experiencing a licensing
> problem

Note that the GPL (the license terms of readline) is like any other
valid copyright license in that it only restricts acts covered by
copyright. You have no responsibility to prevent others from using a
GPL-covered work.

Anyone may use a GPL-covered work they receive for any purpose without
further permission; nobody needs a copyright license for that (despite
what some copyright holders might prefer). Copyright covers acts of
copying and distribution, so you *do* need license to do those things
with someone's work.

> but my code is proprietary

That's unfortunate. I hope you can fix that.

> and hence, if cmd uses readline, I can't use cmd.

Not true; you can derive from and redistribute cmd, so long as you
comply with the license on cmd.

--
 \          "What I have to do is see, at any rate, that I do not lend |
  `\   myself to the wrong which I condemn."  -- Henry Thoreau, _Civil |