Python equivalent of Perl's $/

John K Masters johnmasters at oxtedonline.net
Sun Aug 19 14:13:09 EDT 2007

I am currently working my way through Jeffrey Friedl's book Mastering
Regular Expressions. Great book apart from the fact it uses Perl for the
examples.

One particular expression that interests me is '$/ = ".\n"' which,
rather than splitting a file into lines, splits on a period-newline
boundary. Combined with Perl's 'while (<>)' construct this seems a great
way to process the files I am interested in.

Without wishing to start a flame war, is there a way to do this in Python?

Regards, John
--
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)