Do other Python GUI toolkits require this?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Apr 18 18:11:50 EDT 2007

James Stroud wrote:

> This appears more or less unique to Objective C. It looks that with
> PyObjC, you have to interact with the Objective C runtime to manage
> memory. This is not required, thankfully, with any other GUI tookits
> I've seen.
>
> I think the main difference is that PyObjC is not a GUI toolkit per se,
> but is simply a means to make the Objective C runtime (and hence Cocoa)
> available via a python layer.
>
> James

That's kind of what I thought. Memory management? In Python? *shudder*

I'm a Mac-only developer, and I keep telling myself I should drink the
Mac-only Kool-aid of PyObjC. But Tk is burned into my brain, and
anything else looks and feels weird to me. Tk is so flexible that it's
fairly easy to tweak it to look Mac-like, and it's simpler to do that
than learn a new tookit.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin