Do other Python GUI toolkits require this?

Michael Bentley michael at jedimindworks.com
Thu Apr 19 03:22:30 EDT 2007

On Apr 18, 2007, at 5:11 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> James Stroud wrote:
>
>> This appears more or less unique to Objective C. It looks that with
>> PyObjC, you have to interact with the Objective C runtime to manage
>> memory. This is not required, thankfully, with any other GUI tookits
>> I've seen.
>>
>> I think the main difference is that PyObjC is not a GUI toolkit
>> per se,
>> but is simply a means to make the Objective C runtime (and hence
>> Cocoa)
>> available via a python layer.
>>
>> James
>
> That's kind of what I thought. Memory management? In Python? *shudder*
>
> I'm a Mac-only developer, and I keep telling myself I should drink the
> Mac-only Kool-aid of PyObjC. But Tk is burned into my brain, and
> anything else looks and feels weird to me. Tk is so flexible that it's
> fairly easy to tweak it to look Mac-like, and it's simpler to do that
> than learn a new tookit.

PyObjC is pretty slick (and since Ronald hasn't made any commits in a
while I'm nearly certain it'll show up in the next official
distribution of the devtools). About the time you gave up on PyQt on
the Mac and switched over to Tkinter, I switched to PyObjC.  The
learning curve is rather steep IMO, but worth it.  One thing I think
I should mention though is that if you move to PyObjC -- do some
projects in Objective C first.  Otherwise your brain will implode.

hth,
Michael