Do other Python GUI toolkits require this?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Mon Apr 23 03:38:38 EDT 2007

On 2007-04-21, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> Antoon Pardon schrieb:

>>> Your whole argumentation bases on the fact that the result of the
>>> learning process, and the success of it, has something to do with the
>>> reached height - or y-axis-value - of your climb.
>>>
>>> Which is nonsense. The goal is to go from A - ignorance - to B -
>>> knowledge - which both lie on the X-Axis.
>>
>> Well if you want to do it that way, nobody can stop you, but people
>> in the habit of processing numbers usually put the time on the X-axis
>> like in time spend learning or exercising and put the other value
>> on the Y-axis.
>

> You seem to live in a very limited world, where bezier-curves (note the
> name...)
> are parametrized over t, but rendered on the x/y-axis happily going
> forth and back and whatnot.

I'm not talking about bezier-curves or any parametric curve, because
it doesn't make sense to talk about steep and shalow curves then, since
there is no implication of hard/slow easy/fast associated then
with steep or shalow, you might as well use polar coordinates.

> If using knowledge as the x-axis and effort on the y-axis, the figure of
> speech makes perfect sense.

That is an after the fact interpretation. There certain
rules/conventions in picking your variables when you want to draw a
curve. The association of steep and shalow of a curve with some real
world implication depends on those rules/conventions.

If you don't follow those rules/conventions don't think you can get
a message across by saying steep, because any data can be put on
a steep curve if you are allowed to pick how to draw your axes.

So your statement doesn't mean much more than: After I have played
with the paper, turned it over, rotated it a bit, the curve looks
steep.

>> That is because people prefer a curve going up and down while moving
>> to the right instead of going left and right while moving up.
>
> Which is obviously something people don't want to do in this context,
> because "going down" doesn't make too much sense here, doesn't it? Or do
> you want to cram the process of unlearning in the little figure of
> speech as well?

Then those people shouldn't refer to curves. If people want to refer
to curves in order to bring a message accross then the message should
make sense to those familiar with curves. I can understand that some
people find that doing so, makes their message feel wrong. Not a
problem, use an other metaphor. Don't twist the metaphor to get
a message that feels all right to you but brings nonsense to those
who are familiar with the metaphor.

> But even a perfectly sense-making explanation can be found, I doubt that
> you will ever acknowledge that you did make a mistake on this one - as
> you always (or better never) do...

As far as I can see I don't differ from most people in this respect
on this news group.

--
Antoon Pardon