Do other Python GUI toolkits require this?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sat Apr 21 11:18:29 EDT 2007

Antoon Pardon schrieb:
> On 2007-04-20, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:
>>> So if you have the choice between a steep or a shalow income curve
>>> you will prefer the shalow curve because a steep curve makes you
>>> think about verticale clifs and such?
>>>
>>> The analogy with a walk is just silly because curves are not like walks.
>>> Nobody will say something like: I won't invest in that company because
>>> it has a steep profit curve or the reverse: I'll invest in this company
>>> because it has an easy looking downhill going profit curve.
>> Your whole argumentation bases on the fact that the result of the
>> learning process, and the success of it, has something to do with the
>> reached height - or y-axis-value - of your climb.
>>
>> Which is nonsense. The goal is to go from A - ignorance - to B -
>> knowledge - which both lie on the X-Axis.
>
> Well if you want to do it that way, nobody can stop you, but people
> in the habit of processing numbers usually put the time on the X-axis
> like in time spend learning or exercising and put the other value
> on the Y-axis.

You seem to live in a very limited world, where bezier-curves (note the
name...)
are parametrized over t, but rendered on the x/y-axis happily going
forth and back and whatnot.

If using knowledge as the x-axis and effort on the y-axis, the figure of
speech makes perfect sense.

> That is because people prefer a curve going up and down while moving
> to the right instead of going left and right while moving up.

Which is obviously something people don't want to do in this context,
because "going down" doesn't make too much sense here, doesn't it? Or do
you want to cram the process of unlearning in the little figure of
speech as well?

But even a perfectly sense-making explanation can be found, I doubt that
you will ever acknowledge that you did make a mistake on this one - as
you always (or better never) do...