how can I clear a dictionary in python

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Apr 3 15:58:32 EDT 2007

In article <KP-dnXOp7ea8IZbbnZ2dnUVZ_oCmnZ2d at comcast.com>,
Larry Bates  <lbates at websafe.com> wrote:
>Aahz wrote:
>> In article <4_SdndYI-pFUbZfbnZ2dnUVZ_hzinZ2d at comcast.com>,
>> Larry Bates  <lbates at websafe.com> wrote:

>>> just point myDict to an empty dictionary again
>>>
>>> myDict={}

>> solution is better than yours.  Your explanation should use id().
>
>I believe he (as many new to Python do) are mired in old programming
>thinking that variables "contain" things.  As I'm sure you kno,
>variables point to things in Python.  I don't believe that there are
>lots of other objects pointing to this dictionary.  Perhaps the OP
>can clarify for us.  If there aren't other objects pointing to this
>dictionary it would make NO sense to iterate over a dictionary and
>delete all the keys/values so I tried to read between the lines and
>answer what I believe the OP thought he was asking.

Then you should explain why you didn't answer the question that was
asked.  Answering a different question without explanation makes your
answer irrelevant at best, wrong at worst.

>BTW-I didn't see you posting an answer to what you thought was the
>"correct" question, just criticizing me for taking the time to answer
>what I perceived the OP was asking.

Because Christian already answered the question!  Granted, he chose a
pseudo-Socratic approach, but with the OP already using the word "clear"
in the Subject: line, I think that was entirely reasonable.

Need a book?  Use your library!