Python and Java

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 6 12:23:05 EDT 2007

Ed Jensen wrote:
> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>> Ed Jensen wrote:

>>> Does Jython compile to Java bytecode, or is Jython a Java
>>> implementation of a Python interpreter?
>> Please read what I wrote again.
>
> I read it and understood it just fine.  My question was meant more
> along the lines of, "Are you SURE it compiles to Java bytecode, and
> isn't a Python interpreter written in Java?"  I guess I didn't make
> that clear.
>
> Anyway, I checked the Jython home page, and sure enough, Jython
> compiles Python code to Java bytecode, as stated in the FAQ which can
> be found at the following URL (in case anyone else reading this
> message is following along and is interested):
>
> http://www.jython.com/Project/userfaq.html#what-is-jython
>
> In particular:
>
> 1.1   What is Jython?
>
> Jython implements the Python programming language on the Java(tm)
> Platform. It consists of a compiler to compile Python source code down
> to Java bytecodes which can run directly on a JVM, a set of support
> libraries which are used by the compiled Java bytecodes, and extra
> support to make it trivial to use Java packages from within Jython.
>
> Sorry if I bothered/annoyed you, Steve.

No real problem, I just thought I had already answered the question you
asked. Of course the web reference was, as you'd expect, definitive, and
your quoting it in this group will probably help those weho follow along.

Glad it sounds like Jython might suit you - it's a great integration job!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden