Python and Java

Ed Jensen ejensen at visi.com
Fri Apr 6 11:16:44 EDT 2007

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Ed Jensen wrote:
>> Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>>> Jython is an implementation of Python that compiles to Java bytecode,
>>> but at the moment there's some version lag so it won't handle the mos
>>> recent language enhancements. Probably worth a look, though.
>>>
>>>    http://www.jython.org/
>>
>> Does Jython compile to Java bytecode, or is Jython a Java
>> implementation of a Python interpreter?
>
> Please read what I wrote again.

I read it and understood it just fine.  My question was meant more
along the lines of, "Are you SURE it compiles to Java bytecode, and
isn't a Python interpreter written in Java?"  I guess I didn't make
that clear.

Anyway, I checked the Jython home page, and sure enough, Jython
compiles Python code to Java bytecode, as stated in the FAQ which can
be found at the following URL (in case anyone else reading this
message is following along and is interested):

http://www.jython.com/Project/userfaq.html#what-is-jython

In particular:

1.1   What is Jython?

Jython implements the Python programming language on the Java(tm)
Platform. It consists of a compiler to compile Python source code down
to Java bytecodes which can run directly on a JVM, a set of support
libraries which are used by the compiled Java bytecodes, and extra
support to make it trivial to use Java packages from within Jython.

Sorry if I bothered/annoyed you, Steve.