[python-advocacy] Would You Write Python Articles or Screencasts for Money?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 24 12:17:17 EDT 2007

Facundo Batista wrote:
> 2007/4/24, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com>:
>
>> and I was more looking for a way to reward authors of excellence, as
>> judged by some subset of the Python community - this might have to be
>> the PSF membership given the impracticality of running a meaningful poll
>> with a larger set of voters.
>
> Why? Because of spammers and/or false voters?

Among other complex possibilities, yes.

> When I first read about this, I thought about a web page where anybody
> could "propose" articles for voting, and anybody could vote them.
> Monthly, an award goes for the top 1, and that article goes out from
> the poll.

I think allowing anyone to *propose* the articles is a good idea. Where
PSF money is concerned I am less happy about the prospect of anyone
being allowed to vote. Particularly more than once :-)

> Why can't that be done?

I don't necessarily believe that articles should stay on the list until
they win an award - I'd like to see a regular cycle. There'd be nothing
to stop the same article being proposed in several cycles, but repeated
failure to win an award would definitely send a message to an article's
sponsor(s), who would eventually stop proposing them.

Is monthly too often?

> Other point: what happens with all the non-english articles? Other categories?

There I'd have to call on the help of foreign Python user groups, and
that might require more in the way of formal affiliation than the PSF
has currently implemented. While I am not xenophobic I simply don't have
the language skills to evaluate publications in other languages than
English. But we certainly shouldn't forget them, and it might be nice to
encourage translation efforts in both directions.

>> There are many other possibilities too. What about an award for "most
>> helpful responses on c.l.py" over some period? I think one of the
>
> How do you evaluate such thing? I think this is too complicated...

You are possibly right.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden