Getting started with python

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Sun Apr 15 06:35:47 EDT 2007

Eric wrote:
> Hello, after reading some of the book Programming Python it seems that
> python is something I would like to delve deeper into. The only thing
> is, I have no idea what I should try and write. So I was hoping that
> someone here could help point me to a group/project that would be a
> good starting place for a person with limited python knowledge, but
> that is willing to learn whatever is necessary. I'm hoping that with a
> goal I can start to learn python instead of just playing around with
> it. Thanks.

Here is a protocol I have used in the past:

    1. Realize there is a program you really wish you had.
    2. Find out that, upon relentless googling, no
       such program exists that meets your needs exactly.
    3. If 2 fails and a program exists, go back to 1.
    4. Proceed to write this program no matter what it takes--you
       may even face some "sitdowns" with your friends, family,
       and/or employers.
    5. (Very important)
       A. Refer to this list periodically for help but making
          sure to properly phrase you questions.
       B. Try not to rewrite any libraries by first ascertaining
          whether a library doesn't already exist for the
          sub-task you are programming.
    6. Enjoy the new program you have written and the new
       knowledge you have gained.

James