python style guide inconsistencies

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 23 10:53:05 EDT 2007

Bjoern Schliessmann wrote:

> Darren Dale wrote:
>
>> I was just searching for some guidance on how to name packages and
>> modules, and discovered some inconsistencies on the
>> www.python.org. http://www.python.org/doc/essays/styleguide.html
>> says "Module names can be either MixedCase or lowercase." That
>> page also refers to PEP 8 at
>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/, which says "Modules
>> should have short, all-lowercase names. ... Python packages should
>> also have short, all-lowercase names ...".
>>
>> Which is most up to date?
>
> The priority is, IMHO, clear. The old style guide essay says, at the
> beginning:
>
> | This style guide has been converted to several PEPs (Python
> | Enhancement Proposals): PEP 8 for the main text, PEP 257 for
> | docstring conventions. See the PEP index.
>
> So PEP 8 is the most recent.

Then perhaps http://www.python.org/doc/essays/styleguide.html should either
be updated to either agree with or simply link to PEPs 8 and 257. What is
the point of keeping old, out-of-date essays up on python.org? That
beginning comment does not indicate that the essay is any different from
the PEPs.