python style guide inconsistencies

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Sun Apr 22 17:34:12 EDT 2007

Darren Dale wrote:

> I was just searching for some guidance on how to name packages and
> modules, and discovered some inconsistencies on the
> www.python.org. http://www.python.org/doc/essays/styleguide.html
> says "Module names can be either MixedCase or lowercase." That
> page also refers to PEP 8 at
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/, which says "Modules
> should have short, all-lowercase names. ... Python packages should
> also have short, all-lowercase names ...".
>
> Which is most up to date?

The priority is, IMHO, clear. The old style guide essay says, at the
beginning:

| This style guide has been converted to several PEPs (Python
| Enhancement Proposals): PEP 8 for the main text, PEP 257 for
| docstring conventions. See the PEP index.

So PEP 8 is the most recent.

Regards,

Björn

--
BOFH excuse #216:

What office are you in? Oh, that one.  Did you know that your
building was built over the universities first nuclear research
site? And wow, aren't you the lucky one, your office is right over
where the core is buried!