Future Python Gui?

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Wed Apr 18 16:16:04 EDT 2007

bcwhite at pobox.com wrote:
>> Tile is available right now in Tk as an extension package, and a Tkinter
>> wrapper for it can be found here:
>>
>> http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper
>
> That site seems to be down (500 Internal Server Error).
>

>> Tile will be integrated into Tk's core when 8.5 is released. It's
>> supposed to enter beta testing Real Soon Now. However, I imagine that
>> Python/Tkinter will depend on Tk 8.4 for the foreseeable
>> future--certainly 8.5 won't be supported officially before a full,
>> stable release is made. Perhaps in Python 2.6?
>
> That is okay with me.  It'll be a long time before I get to a point
> where I'll need easy release.  But knowing that it will be part of a
> future release will also mean I don't have to worry about refactoring
> everything if the toolkit I'm using goes out of style and is replaced
> by something else.
>
> Out of curiosity...  Did that page have install instructions for
> Tile?  Other pages I've seen talk about it but don't say how to
> integrate it in to a python installation (under Windows or Linux).
>
> -- Brian

On Windows, the easiest way to install Tile is to grab it from
ActiveState's Tcl distribution
(http://www.activestate.com/products/activetcl/) and then place it with
the Tcl/Tk bits that come with Python. The Tcl/Tk build for Windows that
python.org provides doesn't ship with Tile.  You'll also have to install
the Tile wrapper at the site I referenced earlier in your site-packages
directory.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin