Future Python Gui?

bcwhite at pobox.com bcwhite at pobox.com
Wed Apr 18 20:06:09 EDT 2007

> On Windows, the easiest way to install Tile is to grab it from
> ActiveState's Tcl distribution
> (http://www.activestate.com/products/activetcl/) and then place it with
> the Tcl/Tk bits that come with Python. The Tcl/Tk build for Windows that
> python.org provides doesn't ship with Tile.  You'll also have to install
> the Tile wrapper at the site I referenced earlier in your site-packages
> directory.

For posterity's sake, here's what I did...

- install python http://www.python.org/download/
  (use the Windows MSI install package)
- go to http://bruno.thoorens.free.fr/ and do the download
- instructions say to copy "tty.py" to "Tkinter" folder, but that
doesn't exist
- copy instead to C:\Python25\Lib
- copy folders as directed (to C:\Python25\Tcl)

This should also work with the ActivePython download at
http://www.activestate.com/products/activepython/ .

Within your program, you need:

# Import "Tile" theming engine
tkroot.tk.call('package', 'require', 'tile')
tkroot.tk.call('namespace', 'import', '-force', 'ttk::*')
tkroot.tk.call('tile::setTheme', 'xpnative')

after your call to "tkroot = Tk()" (or "tkroot = Tkinter.Tk()" if you
just "import Tkinter").

The frustrating part is that the main reason I wanted this is because
it says it wraps a "Notebook" widget.  If it does, I can't find it!
<sigh>

-- Brian