tuples are useless???

Mon Apr 9 09:03:06 EDT 2007

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 22:20:45 -0700, James Stroud wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>> "Impossible" is a strong word, as is "need" (especially when in all caps).
>>>
>>> py> import md5
>>> py> class HashedList(list):
>>> ...   def __hash__(self):
>>> ...     h = md5.new()
>>> ...     for item in self:
>>> ...       h.update(str(hash(item)))
>>> ...     return int(h.hexdigest(), 16)
>>> py> hl = HashedList('bob', 'carol', 'ted')
>>> py> {hl:3}
>>> {['bob', 'carol', 'ted']: 3}
>>>
>>> Impossible? I wouldn't even say that this was all that difficult.
>>
>> Possible, if by possible you mean "broken".

>> {['bob', 'carol', 'ted']: 3}
>> {['Bob', 'carol', 'ted']: 3}
>> True
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>> KeyError: ['Bob', 'carol', 'ted']
>>

>    def __setitem__(self, *args):
>      raise TypeError, '%s doesn't support item assignment.' %
> self.__class__.__name__
>

> Problem fixed. Next?

hl.reverse()
hl.sort() # if the list isn't already sorted
del hl[0]
hl.append()
etc.

Yes, you can block those as well... but by the time you've finished making
your HashedList immutable, it is just a slower tuple with a different
name.

In other words... you can avoid using tuples by using a tuple with a
different name. You might as well just do this:

HashedList = tuple

--
Steven.